[R] how to overwrite a Unary operator ?

Greg Snow 538280 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 21:53:55 CEST 2014

There is currently no way to write your own unary operator in R.  The
only current unary operators are prefix (-, +, !).  It would take some
major changes to the parser to recognize the syntax that you want
(which could also break other things that already work well), and with
the oo and other methods it is not really needed.  You can technically
pass and empty expression to a binary operator:

> `%++%` <- function(a,b) a + 1
> x <- 5
> x %++% {}
[1] 6

but that does not change the value of the variable (and using `assign`
just creates its own problems).  And syntax like above is more
appropriate for a obfuscated R contest than for anything that you want
to be understood.

There are assignment functions and you could create an object type and
an assignment for such that you might be able to have syntax like:

a <- {}

to increment a, but you would need to declare a class for a before
using it and it would probably be even more complicated than needed.

If you really want C like syntax then you could always make an active binding:

> f <- local({
+   e <- environment()
+   x <- 1
+   list(inc = function(v) {
+     if(missing(v)) {
+  e$x <- e$x + 1
+ } else {
+ stop('unary inc cannot be assigned to')
+ }
+     x
+   },
+   dec = function(v) {
+     e$x <- e$x - 1
+ x
+ } ) } )

> makeActiveBinding("x++", f$inc, .GlobalEnv)
> makeActiveBinding("x--", f$dec, .GlobalEnv)
>
> `x++`
[1] 2
> `x++`
[1] 3
> `x++`
[1] 4
> `x--`
[1] 3
> `x--`
[1] 2
> `x++`
[1] 3

But it seems simpler to just go with the reference class system at this point.