[R] how to calculate a numeric's digits count?

PO SU rhelpmaillist at 163.com
Fri Oct 24 08:11:08 CEST 2014

Ok,  what i want is  find how many numbers after  . in a numeric ,and i don't know if there is already exists a function to do it( i wrote one by myself which will be showed later).
e.g.
1.234 has 3 numbers after .
1 has 0 number
1.5342 has 4 numbers
And i solved the above format using:
find<-function(x)
{
    str<-as.character(x)
    if(is.na(strsplit(str,"\\.")[[1]][2])) return(0)
    else return(nchar(strsplit(str,"\\.")[[1]][2]))
}

But when i  find(1.340)  i get 2 not 3. find(1.3400) will also get 2 not 4.
So,my question is how to implement the above needing? TKS.

--

PO SU
mail: desolator88 at 163.com
Majored in Statistics from SJTU