[R] Help with Lowess smoother

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 22:41:56 CET 2014

> On 26 Oct 2014, at 21:51 , Don McKenzie <dmck at u.washington.edu> wrote:
>

>> On Oct 26, 2014, at 1:45 PM, Evan Kransdorf <evan.kransdorf at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm trying to use Lowess smooters to plot some data for regression
>> analyses.  When I do with certain variables, I get the following error:
>>
>>> plot(lowess(data$V1,data$V2))
>> Error in lowess(data$V1, data$V2) : 'delta' must be finite and > 0
>>
>> Does anyone know where the problem is?  I suspect there's a problem with my
>> data somewhere.
>
> That sounds like a good guess, but without a reproducible example, no one can say for sure.

Well, given that delta is an unspecified argument and that its default, which the poster might have looked up, is diff(range(x)), the poster might have suspected that perhaps the range of x, i.e. data$V1, is either 0 or non-finite. In the former case, all values of x are identical, in the latter, there are Inf or NA values among them. Either way, summary(data$V1) should be enlightening.