[R] plot hclust object

Greg Snow 538280 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 19:33:18 CET 2014

I don't know of any tools that automate this process.  For small
sample sizes it may be easiest to just do this by hand, for large
sample sizes that plot will probably be to complicated to make sense
of.  There may be a range of moderate sample sizes for which
automation (or partial automation) would be helpful.  The hclust
object has a component of "height" which is an indicator of the
distance between 2 components being combined into a cluster, you could
convert this into a distance matrix (or extract the distance matrix
used to do the clustering if it is available) and then use
multidimensional scaling (cmdscale function is one option) to produce
a 2 dimensional set of points.  Drawing the circles/ellipses/ovals
will be more difficult, possibly generate a cloud of normal points, or
a small circle, around each point with the variability/radius low
enough that the clouds are unlikely to overlap, then find the convex
hull (chull function) for the points within a cluster and draw that
(it will be a polygon rather than a smooth curve).  The gBuffer
command in the rgeos package may be another way to create polygons
around the points in a group.