[R] depth of labels of axis

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Tue Sep 2 05:39:23 CEST 2014

On Sep 1, 2014, at 4:40 PM, Jinsong Zhao wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> With the following code,
>
> plot(1:5, xaxt = "n")
> axis(1, at = 1:5, labels = c(expression(E[g]), "E",
> expression(E[j]), "E", expression(E[t])))
>
> you may notice that the "E" within labels of axis(1) are not at the
> same depth. So the vision of axis(1) labels is something like wave.
>
> Is there a possible way to typeset the labels so that they are have
> the same depth?

I'm not sure that we share an interpretation of the term "depth" in
this context. I'm interpreting your request to me vertical alighnment.

> Any suggestions will be really appreciated.

Read the help page, especially the paragraph about padj. I will admit
that I thought the description of the actions of padj=0 and padj=1
were not what I experienced when I tried alternate versions. It did
not seem to me that padj=0 produced "top alignment".

--

David Winsemius, MD
Alameda, CA, USA