[R] citation of a task view

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at uibk.ac.at
Thu Sep 4 20:28:52 CEST 2014

On Thu, 4 Sep 2014, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> On 04/09/2014 4:52 AM, Dr. Pablo E. Verde wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Which is a formal bibliography citation of an R's task view? For example
>> if I want to make a citation of "MetaAnalysis" task view.
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>
> I don't think there is a recognized standard one.

Not yet. But since this summer the web pages contain <meta> tags (both in
Highwire Press and Dublin Core format) that state how the pages can be
cited.

> I would use whatever format your journal requires for citing any web
> page, e.g. something like
>
> Lewin-Koh, Nicholas (2013).  CRAN Task View: Graphic Displays & Dynamic
> Graphics & Graphic Devices & Visualization.
> Web page with URL <http://cran.r-project.org/web/views/Bayesian.html>,
> retrieved Sept. 4, 2014.

I would recommend two changes: (1) Use the official stable URL
http://CRAN.R-project.org/view=... (2) Instead of the "retrieved"
information, use the version date stated on the task view. For example for
the current version of the MetaAnalysis view:

Michael Dewey (2014). CRAN Task View: Meta-Analysis. Version 2014-07-25.
URL http://CRAN.R-project.org/view=MetaAnalysis.

or in BibTeX:

@Misc{,
   author = {Michael Dewey},
   note = {Version~2014-07-25},
   title = {{CRAN} Task View: Meta-Analysis},
   year = {2014},
   url = {http://CRAN.R-project.org/view=MetaAnalysis}
}

hth,