[R] some question about vector[-NULL]

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 11:38:12 CEST 2014

On 10/09/2014, 9:53 PM, PO SU wrote:

> Tks, i think using logical index is a way, but to do that, i have to keep a vector as long as the original vector. that's, to exclude position 1 and 3 from
> a<-1:5
> I have to let b<-c(F,T,F,T,T) and exec a[b], not a[-c(1,3)]. which c(1,3) is much shorter than b if a is a long vector. that's, b would be c(F,T,F,T,T,T,T,......,T)

If you know that you want to omit elements 1 and 3, then negative
integer indexing is safe.  You'll never need to explicitly type out the
whole logical vector.

The only problem with it is when you construct the indices by tests, and
sometimes nothing matches the tests, so you end up with an empty vector
or NULL.  In that case you can just as easily construct the logical
vector.

If your vectors are so long that you are worried about the cost of
constructing a logical vector that long, then it's probably worthwhile
checking the length of the integer index explicitly, i.e. instead of

a <- a[ -i ]

use

if (any(i > 0)) a <- a[ -i ]

Duncan Murdoch