[R] Generating unordered, with replacement, samples

Giovanni Petris gpetris at uark.edu
Wed Sep 17 20:25:57 CEST 2014

Hello,

I am trying to interface in my teaching some elementary probability with Monte Carlo ideas. In sampling from a finite population, the number of distinct samples of size 'k' from a population of size 'n' , when individuals are selected with replacement and the selection order does not matter, is choose(n + k -1, k). Does anyone have a suggestion about how to simulate (uniformly!) one of these possible samples? In a Monte Carlo framework I would like to do it repeatedly, so efficiency is of some relevance.

Thank you in advance!

Best,
Giovanni

Giovanni Petris
Associate Professor
Department of Mathematical Sciences
University of Arkansas - Fayetteville, AR 72701
Ph: (479) 575-6324, 575-8630 (fax)
http://definetti.uark.edu/~gpetris/