[R] Failure with .Rprofile on Mac OS X

Gang Chen gangchen6 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 18:24:41 CEST 2014

Thanks for the help, Amos!

> The only reason that *should* happen is if there's an .Rprofile in the directory you're in when you start R.

There is only one .Rprofil, which is in my home directory ~/

> Where *exactly* is the .Rprofile file you want loaded

The only one is in my home directory.

> what directory are you starting from

It does not matter where I start R because on my Mac the CLI R is
linked to /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/bin/R while the
GUI R is linked to /Applications/R.app/Contents/MacOS/R

> what does R say is the user's home directory? Did you make *any* changes to Rprofile.site, or Renviron?

> R.home()
[1] "/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources"

> What is the output from Sys.getenv() in gui and cli, and do they differ?

They differ slightly. I have trouble pinpointing the exact difference
because the format is a little different and vim does not help much in
tracking the differences. I just noticed that the CLI version has a
few extra terms such as

COLUMNS
"130"
DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH
"/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/lib"

Thanks,
Gang