[R] ANOVA and permutation tests : beware of traps

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 10:36:56 CEST 2014

Hi Stephane,

This is the well known result of limitted floating point precision (e.g.,
http://www.validlab.com/goldberg/addendum.html).  Using a test of
approximate rather than exact equality shows R yields the correct answer:

nperm <- 10000
Fperm <- replicate(n=nperm, anova(lm(sample(Y) ~ F, dat1))$F[1]) #
calculates nperm F values
(prob <- (sum(anova1$F[1] <= (Fperm + .Machine$double.eps ^ 0.5)) +
1)/(nperm +1))  # risk calculation

yields

0.10009

I picked .Machine$double.eps ^ 0.5 somewhat arbitrarily as the default for
equality testing from ?all.equal

Cheers,

Josh