[R] Plotting boundary lines from shapefiles overtop a map of Canada

Ray Brownrigg Ray.Brownrigg at ecs.vuw.ac.nz
Wed Sep 24 21:17:32 CEST 2014

Hi Alain:

The issue is that map() is "too clever" and will only plot those map
boundaries that fall within the defined limits, and even the myborder
option will not override this.

What you can do, with somewhat better results, is something like:
map(database= "worldHires", ylim=c(39, 90), xlim=c(-145, -25),
col="white", projection="lambert", param=c(50, 65))
map(database= "worldHires", "Canada", ylim=c(39,90), xlim=c(-145,-25),
col="grey95", fill=TRUE, projection="lambert", param=c(50, 65), add=T)

[Apologies for the HTML formatting in my previous message, I have now
turned this off for my home computer.]

Hope this helps,
Ray