[R] Error : '.path.package' is defunct.

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Thu Sep 25 20:43:16 CEST 2014

On Sep 25, 2014, at 1:02 PM, Yuan, Rebecca <rebecca.yuan at bankofamerica.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> After this reinstallation of R 3.1.1 and Rstudio 0.98.1028, I have the following error messages whenever I tried to load a library to it:
>
>> library('zoo')
> Error : '.path.package' is defunct.
> Use 'path.package' instead.
> See help("Defunct")
>
> Attaching package: 'zoo'
>
> The following objects are masked from 'package:base':
>
>    as.Date, as.Date.numeric
>
> Could you please help on this?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Rebecca

Check the version of 'zoo' that you have installed by using:

  library(help = zoo)

More than likely, you have an old version of the package installed (current is 1.7-11) that still uses the now defunct function, hence the error message.

You can run:

  update.packages(checkBuilt = TRUE)

to update all of your installed packages and be sure that they are built for the current version of R that you now have running.

There may be other nuances here, such as OS, having Admin access and where the CRAN packages are installed, but at least checking the version of zoo will be a good staring point.

Regards,

Marc Schwartz