[R] open xlsx file using read.xls function of gdata package

Fri Apr 3 21:07:01 CEST 2015

I had poor luck with gdata. I have had better luck with XLConnect. There is no single best package for this, since each seems to leverage efforts made in other languages (so there are non-R configuration requirements to keep working) and Excel is a proprietary moving target. In general YMMV when it comes to Excel data. In most cases I just export the data to CSV and avoid the issue.
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing