[R] Aggregating daily rainfall raster data to bimontly data

Jim Lemon drjimlemon at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 23:25:43 CEST 2015

Hi John,
One way is to create an index variable that will divide your data into the
appropriate intervals. There are a number of ways to do this. Say you want
the "two month" version of bimonthly and you have a date variable
("raindate") for each observation like "1982-01-01".

date_order<-paste(rep(month.abb,30),rep(1982:2011,each=12),sep="")
month_index<-factor(format(as.Date(raindate,"%Y-%m-%d"),"%b%Y"),levels=date_order)

You can then subset the raster matrices by "month_index" and average them
for each group

Jim