[R] vi[m] editing of past commands in R command line

paul paul.domaskis at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 16:48:15 CEST 2015

When I use bash + readline and ~/.inputrc contains "editing-mode vi", I can
press "v" to switch to from the command line editing to a full vi session
editing of a command.  This doesn't seem to happen in R.  Is there a
configuration setting/file that I can set to get this behaviour?

Furthermore, when using bash, the fc command allows me to edit the history
of commands, and when I exit the editor, all the remaining (and likely
modified) commands are submitted to the bash shell as if I typed them at
the prompt.  Is there a way to get similar functionality in R?