[R] issue with package updates

Iryna Nikolayeva iryna.v.nikolayeva at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 11:25:39 CEST 2015

Dear R project members,
I have an issue while automatically updating packages.
For the packages installed in my second library, while automatically updating I get the following "Permission denied” messages(details below).
I suppose I know where this problem comes from:
I had installed a few different versions of R.
And now I have 2 library paths:
> .libPaths()
[1] "/Users/iryna/Library/R/3.1/library"
[2] "/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.1/Resources/library”

And for some reason R just doesn’t have rights to update packages in my second library.
Do you know why is that? How should I fix this issue?

Here is the error message:

* installing *source* package ‘mgcv’ ...
** package ‘mgcv’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
mv: rename /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.1/Resources/library/mgcv to /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.1/Resources/library/00LOCK-mgcv/mgcv: Permission denied
Warning in file.copy(f, instdir, TRUE) :
  problem copying ./NAMESPACE to /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.1/Resources/library/mgcv/NAMESPACE: Permission denied
Warning in file(file, ifelse(append, "a", "w")) :
  cannot open file '/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.1/Resources/library/mgcv/DESCRIPTION': Permission denied
Error in file(file, ifelse(append, "a", "w")) :
  cannot open the connection
ERROR: installing package DESCRIPTION failed for package ‘mgcv’
* removing ‘/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.1/Resources/library/mgcv’

Here are some additional information on my settings:
> version
               _
platform       x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0
arch           x86_64
os             darwin13.4.0
system         x86_64, darwin13.4.0
status
major          3
minor          1.2
year           2014
month          10
day            31
svn rev        66913
language       R
version.string R version 3.1.2 (2014-10-31)
nickname       Pumpkin Helmet

Thanks in advance for your help,
—

Iryna Nikolayeva