[R] high density plots using lattice dotplot()

Luigi Marongiu marongiu.luigi at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 11:27:54 CEST 2015

Dear all,
I am trying to plot the results of a PCR experiments that involves 384
individual plots. Admittedly the space for the plots will be tiny, but
I just nedd some icon to have a feeling of the layout of the
experiment and a quick comparison of the plots.
I believe that lattice would be the right tool, but when I tried to
implement i got an error. Specifically the output would be a A4 pdf,
so with about 600 cm2 of drawing space, which gives about 1.5 cm2 for
each plot; removing the labels that might just work.
So I have the y values = 'fluorescence', x 'values' = cycles and 384
'well' data. I implemented to begin with:

xyplot(fluorescence ~ cycles | well,
         ylab="Fluorescence",
         xlab="Cycles",
         main=list(draw = FALSE),
         scales = list(
           x = list(draw = FALSE),
           y = list(draw = FALSE),
           relation="same",
           alternating=TRUE),
         layout = c(24,16),
         par.settings = list(strip.background=list(col="white")),
         pch = "."
  )

but the  the individual graphs show only the writing "data" instead of
the actual plots.
How can I overcome this error?
Thank you
Best regards