[R] Metafor - rma.mv function - variance components

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (STAT) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Tue Apr 21 12:25:42 CEST 2015

This is correct (for getting likelihood ratio tests). Manually setting a component to 0 is also the same as just leaving out the corresponding random effect. So, you could also do:

model2 <- rma.mv(y, v, random = list(~ 1 | y, ~ 1 | ID), data=dat)
model3 <- rma.mv(y, v, random = ~ 1 | y, data=dat)
model4 <- rma.mv(y, v, random = ~ 1 | ID, data=dat)
anova(model2,model3)
anova(model2,model4)

That should give you identical results.

At the moment, rma.mv() does not compute SEs for the variance components. It may at some point in the future, but it is unclear what one would do with those SEs. Wald-type tests (z-tests) should generally be avoided when testing variance components.

Best,
Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Viechtbauer, Ph.D., Statistician
Department of Psychiatry and Neuropsychology