[R] Interactive maps

Michael Sumner mdsumner at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 02:48:54 CEST 2015

On Sun, 26 Apr 2015 at 00:56 Antonio Serrano via R-help <
r-help at r-project.org> wrote:

> Thank you, Jim.
>
> I didn't know the existence of the locator() function. But I can see now
> that I don't know how to read a graphic image into R to work with it.
> How can I read a pre-exisiting image into R?.
>
> See the raster (and possibly rgdal - depending on your format/s) package
to read in images that are georeferenced. Depending on the provenance of
your files, it might be as simple as doing
library(raster)
r <- raster(filename)
plort(r)
xy <- locator(, type = "p")  ## click on the map

If the values of these are not right you'll need further digging, and
perhaps if your image is not in longitude/latitude you'll need to transform
the locator points.

Also check out ?getGraphics event in grDevices, which can be used (with
care) to build quite complex interactive applications.

Another promising option is to use a Shiny application, where each plot
gives a simple way to get click events from the user - but then you really
are building an application out in the frontier edges of R land.

Cheers, Mike.

Thanks again