[R] NATURAL Smoothing B-splines

Marc Lamblin marcgg.lamblin at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 17:10:52 CEST 2015

Hi all,

I'm an engineering student from Politecnico di Milano.
I want to perform Smoothing using Smoothing B-splines on syntethic
data. The splines must be NATURAL (at the edges the second and third
order derivates are zero).
How can I impose this constraint?
I have searched in R documentation. For Smoothing I use the fda
package. From the description of the function smooth.basis() it seems
that it is not possible to use natural B-splines. I have found only
the function ns() from splines package but in this way you can obtain
only the basis and I have seen that this function is used in models
expressed in symbolic notation.

Thanks in advance!!

mggl