[R] Households per Census block

Zack Almquist almquist at umn.edu
Tue Aug 4 21:45:49 CEST 2015

Hi Keith,

I would only use install.blk() once. Then just load the
library(UScensus2010blk) like normal on your machine (this should be
relatively fast), redownloading and re-installing each time will be very
expensive (both on download and time).

The SF1 file manual produced by the US Census goes over all the details of
the various variables (http://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/doc/sf1.pdf) in
glorious detail; however a lot of the issues arise depending on if you are
interested in individual counts versus household counts and assumptions
thereof.

Best,

-- Zack
Zack W.  Almquist
Assistant Professor
Department of Sociology and School of Statistics
Affiliate, Minnesota Population Center
University of Minnesota