[R] Release schedule (was (no subject) )

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 22:36:15 CEST 2015

> On 05 Aug 2015, at 20:32 , Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.duncan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 05/08/2015 2:15 PM, Jeff Newmiller wrote:
>> So 3.1.3 to 3.2.0 was a major release?
>
> Yes.  We do have the oddity (see ?version) that 3 is the major version
> number and 2.0 is the minor version number including 0 as the
> patchlevel, but we still call it a major release when the number in the
> middle changes (e.g. 1 changed to 2 in the 3.2.0 release).  It's a patch
> release when only the patchlevel changes.

Actually the wording on the developer site rather carefully avoids calling minor releases major...

The dynamics of actual major releases, i.e. x.0.0, are less predictable than the x.y.0 ones; up till now there has been one in each of 2000, 2004, 2013. They usually signify some degree of accomplishment and possibly discontinuity in the API.

-pd