[R] Installing RGDAL on CentOS v.6.2

Eric Brown brown at fastmail.com
Sun Aug 9 19:54:39 CEST 2015

Dear Shouro,

I should have mentioned that pkgsrc is cross-platform, and not
restricted to the NetBSD OS.  I use pkgsrc on my CentOS machines
provide up-to-date software.  Since sysadmins tend to be
conservative
about what they will install on computers, I end up installing my
own
software into my own personal directory.

I don't think that the version of R is indicative of whether proj4
and
gdal will compile. IIRC, I had to install a number of dependencies
to be
able to build these from source.

It might be worthwhile to see if your sysadmin will install gdal
and
proj4 from the CentOS distro.  These will probably be quite "old"
--
though they may be enough for your needs.  Alternatively, there
are some

Best regards,
Eric