[R] How to obtain the unique communities when plotting VENNs?

Krissey kristin.kaiser at web.de
Thu Aug 13 09:57:57 CEST 2015

Hey there guys.

I am having a question about Venn diagrams.
A colleague wrote a script based on the VennDiagram package a while ago,
that I was able to adapt for my data. I wanted a Venn for the soil bacterial
communities derived from forests of 4 different tree species.
It worked fine for me, however my question is:

Is there a possibility to somehow obtain a list of the unique populations of
each of the for categories?
<http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/file/n4711056/Venntrees.png>

That's what the Venn looks like. Now I'd like to now the 426 community
members, that seem to be unique for beech forest, the 45 for pine, ect ect.
I feel like this is a tough call because of all the intersecting that had to
be done before. These are the Intersects:
N12 = InterSect(AKL_beech,AKL_oak)#(1,2)
N13 = InterSect(AKL_beech, AKL_pine)#(1,3)
N14 = InterSect(AKL_beech, AKL_spruce)#(1,4)
N23 = InterSect(AKL_oak,AKL_pine)#(2,3)
N24 = InterSect(AKL_oak,AKL_spruce)#(2,4)
N34 = InterSect(AKL_pine,AKL_spruce)#(3,4)
length(N234) - length(N1234)
N1234 = InterSect(N12,N34)
N123 = InterSect(N12,AKL_pine)
length(N123) - length(N1234)
N124 = InterSect(N12,AKL_spruce)
length(N124) - length(N1234)
N134 = InterSect(N13,AKL_spruce)
length(N134) - length(N1234)
N234 = InterSect(N23,AKL_spruce)

Does anyone has an idea how to do it? I'm completely at loss by now, since I
am also not a pro concerning R, or statistics.
I'd be happy to hear what you come up with.
Thanks so much in advance!

Best, Krissey