[R] Non linear regression - Von Bertalanffy Growth Function - "singular gradient matrix at initial parameter estimates"

ProfJCNash profjcnash at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 15:11:25 CEST 2015

Packages nlmrt or minpack.lm use a Marquardt method. minpack.lm won't
proceed if the Jacobian singularity is at the starting point as far as
I'm aware, but nlxb in nlmrt can sometimes get going. It has a policy
that is aggressive in trying to improve the sum of squares, so will use
more effort than nls when both work.

JN