[R] Plot z=f(x,y) analytically

Greg Snow 538280 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 19:26:55 CEST 2015

R has several options for projecting a 3 dimensional plot onto a 2
dimensional plane and plotting the result.  Which is best depends on
what you want.

You mention a function "plot3d" but not which package it comes from.
You are more likely to receive prompt and useful help when you do your
part of the homework and tell us which package it is from (it is not
in the default packages).  In fact, with a name like that, there could
easily be more than one package with a function of that name and if we
tell you how to use the function from a different package than you are
using then the "help" will probably be more confusing than helpful.

In base R you can use functions like persp, image, and contour (after
using a function like outer), the help pages have examples.

If you load the lattice package then you can use wireframe, levelplot,
or contourplot, again the help pages have examples.

The TeachingDemos package has functions rotate.persp and
rotate.wireframe that create an interactive interface to the
corresponding plots.

The help page for the plot3d function in the RGL package (one likely
candidate for the function you mentioned) points to the
plot3d.function function in the "See Also" section which has examples
that you could plug your function into.