[R] Metafor and forest(); not showing 'ilab' and text

Michael Dewey lists at dewey.myzen.co.uk
Mon Aug 24 16:46:50 CEST 2015

Dear Marco

Comments inline

On 24/08/2015 15:03, Marco Colagrossi wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> I have a couple of issues with the metafor package, specifically with
> the forest graphs.
> I am currently conducting a Meta-Analysis in economics throughout the
> metafor package.
>
> My meta-analysis has the specific of having different cases from
> single studies, and this proven to be challenging especially when
> trying to plot graphically the results I'm obtaining.
>
> Here's the code:
>
> forest(pc, var, ci95m, ci95p, slab = authoryear, psize=1, subset=(pub==1),
>         ilab = cbind(ys, f_dim, SIMdv, SIMiv),
>         ilab.xpos = c(-9.5, -8, -6, -4.5), cex = 0.75)

At this point I think you meant to close the call to forest with another
) as the subsequent calls to text are further commands and not internal
to the call of forest.

> par(font=2)
>        text(c(-9.5,-8,-6,-4.5), 26, c("Years", "Firm(s) Dimension", "DV", "IV"))
>        text(-16,                26, "Author(s) and Year",     pos=4)
>        text(6,                  26, "Observed Outcome [95% CI]", pos=2)
> par(op)

For that to have worked you probably meant to go
op <- par() somewhere earlier

> 'pc' is the 'effect size', 'var' the variance, 'ci95m & ci95p' the CI,
> 'pub' if the paper has been published or not. the pub subset was the
> first idea I had in order to split my sample that otherwise would have
> been to big. The issue with this solution is that forest() displays
> only the slap argument and the forest with the confidence interval,
> completely ignoring the lab argument and the text I'm trying to add.
> Moreover, the graph is showed correctly only within the zoom in
> Rstudio but if I save it it is showed as enclosed.

Sorry, do not use Rstudio myself

> What I'm doing wrong? I tried both to look at the package
> documentation and online but I can't figure it out.
>
> Moreover, how would you suggest to handle (graphically) the
> multiple-cases-per-study thing? It's a 'good' way to average the cases
> among different studies in the graphs?

Are you looking for rma.mv perhaps?

> In my meta-analysis I'm using a multilevel model as shown in
> Gelman-Hill but graphically (and in tables) I'm struggling.
>
> Thanks for your help and patience

Michael
http://www.dewey.myzen.co.uk/home.html