[R] R 3.2.3 is released
pd.mes at cbs.dk
Thu Dec 10 13:07:57 CET 2015
The build system rolled up R-3.2.3.tar.gz (codename "Wooden Christmas-Tree") this morning.
The list below details the changes in this release.
You can get the source code from
or wait for it to be mirrored at a CRAN site nearer to you.
Binaries for various platforms will appear in due course.
For the R Core Team,
These are the md5sums for the freshly created files, in case you wish
to check that they are uncorrupted:
MD5 (AUTHORS) = eb97a5cd38acb1cfc6408988bffef765
MD5 (COPYING) = eb723b61539feef013de476e68b5c50a
MD5 (COPYING.LIB) = a6f89e2100d9b6cdffcea4f398e37343
MD5 (FAQ) = 3a15bad19f5031d05d1a4893f0fadb81
MD5 (INSTALL) = 3964b9119adeaab9ceb633773fc94aac
MD5 (NEWS) = e09aa00e906c9feb3f63838e4b4919c9
MD5 (NEWS.0) = bfcd7c147251b5474d96848c6f57e5a8
MD5 (NEWS.1) = eb78c4d053ec9c32b815cf0c2ebea801
MD5 (NEWS.2) = 8e2f4d1d5228663ae598a09bf1e2bc6b
MD5 (R-latest.tar.gz) = 1ba3dac113efab69e706902810cc2970
MD5 (README) = aece1dfbd18c1760128c3787f5456af6
MD5 (RESOURCES) = 529223fd3ffef95731d0a87353108435
MD5 (THANKS) = ba00f6cc68a823e1741cfa6011f40ccb
MD5 (VERSION-INFO.dcf) = a042818b70e88f7c5253ee533f45cd2f
MD5 (R-3/R-3.2.3.tar.gz) = 1ba3dac113efab69e706902810cc2970
This is the relevant part of the NEWS file
CHANGES IN R 3.2.3:
* Some recently-added Windows time zone names have been added to
the conversion table used to convert these to Olson names.
(Including those relating to changes for Russia in Oct 2014, as
* (Windows) Compatibility information has been added to the
manifests for Rgui.exe, Rterm.exe and Rscript.exe. This should
allow win.version() and Sys.info() to report the actual Windows
version up to Windows 10.
* Windows "wininet" FTP first tries EPSV / PASV mode rather than
only using active mode (reported by Dan Tenenbaum).
* which.min(x) and which.max(x) may be much faster for logical and
integer x and now also work for long vectors.
* The 'emulation' part of tools::texi2dvi() has been somewhat
enhanced, including supporting quiet = TRUE. It can be selected
by texi2dvi = "emulation".
(Windows) MiKTeX removed its texi2dvi.exe command in Sept 2015:
tools::texi2dvi() tries texify.exe if it is not found.
* (Windows only) Shortcuts for printing and saving have been added
to menus in Rgui.exe. (Request of PR#16572.)
* loess(..., iterTrace=TRUE) now provides diagnostics for
robustness iterations, and the print() method for
summary(<loess>) shows slightly more.
* The included version of PCRE has been updated to 8.38, a bug-fix
* View() now displays nested data frames in a more friendly way.
(Request with patch in PR#15915.)
INSTALLATION and INCLUDED SOFTWARE:
* The included configuration code for libintl has been updated to
that from gettext version 0.19.5.1 - this should only affect how
an external library is detected (and the only known instance is
under OpenBSD). (Wish of PR#16464.)
* configure has a new argument --disable-java to disable the checks
* The configure default for MAIN_LDFLAGS has been changed for the
FreeBSD, NetBSD and Hurd OSes to one more likely to work with
compilers other than gcc (FreeBSD 10 defaults to clang).
* configure now supports the OpenMP flags -fopenmp=libomp (clang)
and -qopenmp (Intel C).
* Various macros can be set to override the default behaviour of
configure when detecting OpenMP: see file config.site.
* Source installation on Windows has been modified to allow for
MiKTeX installations without texi2dvi.exe. See file
* regexpr(pat, x, perl = TRUE) with Python-style named capture did
not work correctly when x contained NA strings. (PR#16484)
* The description of dataset ToothGrowth has been
* model.tables(type = "means") and hence TukeyHSD() now support
"aov" fits without an intercept term. (PR#16437)
* close() now reports the status of a pipe() connection opened with
an explicit open argument. (PR#16481)
* Coercing a list without names to a data frame is faster if the
elements are very long. (PR#16467)
* (Unix-only) Under some rare circumstances piping the output from
Rscript or R -f could result in attempting to close the input
file twice, possibly crashing the process. (PR#16500)
* (Windows) Sys.info() was out of step with win.version() and did
not report Windows 8.
* topenv(baseenv()) returns baseenv() again as in R 3.1.0 and
earlier. This also fixes compilerJIT(3) when used in .Rprofile.
* detach()ing the methods package keeps .isMethodsDispatchOn()
true, as long as the methods namespace is not unloaded.
* Removed some spurious warnings from configure about the
preprocessor not finding header files. (PR#15989)
* rchisq(*, df=0, ncp=0) now returns 0 instead of NaN, and
dchisq(*, df=0, ncp=*) also no longer returns NaN in limit cases
(where the limit is unique). (PR#16521)
* pchisq(*, df=0, ncp > 0, log.p=TRUE) no longer underflows (for
ncp > ~60).
* nchar(x, "w") returned -1 for characters it did not know about
(e.g. zero-width spaces): it now assumes 1. It now knows about
most zero-width characters and a few more double-width
* Help for which.min() is now more precise about behavior with
logical arguments. (PR#16532)
* The print width of character strings marked as "latin1" or
"bytes" was in some cases computed incorrectly.
* abbreviate() did not give names to the return value if minlength
was zero, unlike when it was positive.
* (Windows only) dir.create() did not always warn when it failed to
create a directory. (PR#16537)
* When operating in a non-UTF-8 multibyte locale (e.g. an East
Asian locale on Windows), grep() and related functions did not
handle UTF-8 strings properly. (PR#16264)
* read.dcf() sometimes misread lines longer than 8191 characters.
(Reported by Herv'e Pag`es with a patch.)
* within(df, ..) no longer drops columns whose name start with a
* The built-in HTTP server converted entire Content-Type to
lowercase including parameters which can cause issues for
multi-part form boundaries (PR#16541).
* Modifying slots of S4 objects could fail when the methods package
was not attached. (PR#16545)
* splineDesign(*, outer.ok=TRUE) (splines) is better now
(PR#16549), and interpSpline() now allows sparse=TRUE for speedup
with non-small sizes.
* If the expression in the traceback was too long, traceback() did
not report the source line number. (Patch by Kirill M"uller.)
* The browser did not truncate the display of the function when
exiting with options("deparse.max.lines") set. (PR#16581)
* When bs(*, Boundary.knots=) had boundary knots inside the data
range, extrapolation was somewhat off. (Patch by Trevor Hastie.)
* var() and hence sd() warn about factor arguments which are
deprecated now. (PR#16564)
* loess(*, weights = *) stored wrong weights and hence gave
slightly wrong predictions for newdata. (PR#16587)
* aperm(a, *) now preserves names(dim(a)).
* poly(x, ..) now works when either raw=TRUE or coef is specified.
* data(package=*) is more careful in determining the path.
* prettyNum(*, decimal.mark, big.mark): fixed bug introduced when
R-announce at r-project.org mailing list
More information about the R-help