[R] stopifnot with logical(0)

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 00:30:10 CET 2015

> On 13 Dec 2015, at 20:31 , William Dunlap <wdunlap at tibco.com> wrote:
>
>> as Bill or Jeff explained,  "the empty set is always true"
>
> My wording was that any(logical(0)) is FALSE because "there are no
> TRUEs in logical(0)".

Yes. My mind still boggles over how the empty set slipped into Boolean algebra.

Another way of flogging the horse is to say that we want[*]

any(c(x,y)) == any(x) | any(y)

even if x has length 0. In that case c(x,y) == y, so we must have

any(y) == any(logical(0)) | any(y)

which holds for all y if and only if any(logical(0)) is FALSE.

Also, as I tried to say before, any() is to "|" what sum() is to "+" and what all() is to "&" and prod() is to "*". All the operators have an identity element, namely FALSE, 0, TRUE, and 1 respectively, and the generic convention is that for an empty vector, we return the identity element, for the reason given above.

Peter D.

[*] Assuming logical vectors here. Coercion might well do odd things...