[R] NIPALS & categorical variables

Jim Lemon drjimlemon at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 12:23:44 CET 2015

Hi Hana,
If you are using nipals from the plsdepot package, the answer seems to be
maybe. If your categorical variables are at least ordinal level, and you
can arrange the values so that the factor numbering reflects this, it may
be possible to use the numeric values.

"...the variables are assumed to be quantitative, ideally measured on a
more or less continuous scale."

(from http://gastonsanchez.com/plsdepot_nipals.pdf). Obviously you would be
seriously stretching the assumptions of the method, but you will have to
decide whether that is okay.

Jim