[R] Regular R freezes

Tim Richter-Heitmann trichter at uni-bremen.de
Tue Dec 22 16:13:07 CET 2015

Dear List,

some days ago my R started to regularily freezes, especially during
these operations:

mso(,permutations=999), package vegan
anova.cca(), package vegan
forward.sel(), package packfor

I am running R on a 64-bit Windows 7 installation, 4 cores, 8 GB RAM.
I just today updated R to 3.2.3, all packages, and R-Studio to their
most recent versions.
Still the error persists.
Two things are strange:

All these functions (and more) have been working without any problem for
2 years.
The freezes occur at different points in the algorithms. For
forward.sel(), a stepwise variable selection process
in species distribution modelling, the system fails at different steps
(say after variable 8 or 18), but inevitably fails.
R-Studio is still responsive meanwhile, but the "Stop"-Buttom does not
work, and the programm needs to be restarted.

Is there any way of troubleshooting or finding out who the culprit is?

Thanks.

--
Tim Richter-Heitmann (M.Sc.)
PhD Candidate

International Max-Planck Research School for Marine Microbiology
University of Bremen
Microbial Ecophysiology Group (AG Friedrich)
FB02 - Biologie/Chemie
Leobener Straße (NW2 A2130)
D-28359 Bremen
Tel.: 0049(0)421 218-63062