[R] aov and Error function

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Sun Feb 1 12:40:02 CET 2015

On 01/02/15 02:17, John Sorkin wrote:
> I am trying to understand the Error function and its use in ANOVA. In
> particular I want to understand the difference between two models
> that differ only with respect to the Error statement:
>

> aovsubj <- aov(value~group+time+Error(subject),data=dataRMANOVA)
> and
> aovsubjgroup <- aov(value~group+time+Error(subject/group),data=dataRMANOVA)
>
> You will note that in my data I have two subject identifiers,
> subject and subject2. I am also trying to trying to understand how I
> should identify subjects, within group (i.e. intervention vs.
> control) or within time (0=baseline, 1=post)

Since no-one else seems to have answered you let me point out that your
first formulation treats subject 1 in the "int" group as being the same
as subject 1 in the "cont" group, and similarly for subject 2 and so on.

The second formulation (subject nested within group) treats subject 1 in
the "int" group as being *different* from subject 1 in the "cont" group.

If you were using subject2 instead of subject there would (I *think*) be
no difference between the two formulations.

HTH

cheers,

Rolf Turner

--