[R] save program results and graphs to one file

Henrik Bengtsson hb at biostat.ucsf.edu
Mon Feb 2 00:51:56 CET 2015

If you're happy with outputting to a multi-page PDF, then you can just
set the default graphics device to pdf(), i.e.

> options(device=pdf)

and the start plotting:

> plot(1:10, col=0)
> plot(10:1, col=1)
> plot((1:10)^2, col=2)
> plot((10:1)^2, col=3)

and at the end make sure to close the device:

> dev.off()

(The PDF device was automatically opened with the first plot call -
all other figures are appended to this one.)

This is what happens implicitly when you run a script in a
non-interactive session, e.g.

    Rscript -f myscript.R

That is, in that case you don't have to set the 'device' options (it's
done for you by default) and you don't have to close it at the end,
because that is also done for you by default.

/Henrik