[R] rgl::writeWebGL( , prefix = , )

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 18:42:09 CET 2015

On 03/02/2015 12:18 PM, David Winsemius wrote:
> On Feb 3, 2015, at 7:14 AM, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
>
> > On 03/02/2015 9:43 AM, Keith.Jewell at campdenbri.co.uk wrote:
> >> Dear all,
> >>
> >> I am using writeWebGL to create an HTML page containing an interactive 3D plot. It works fine with the default prefix="" but fails when I specify a prefix "for different scenes displayed on the same web page" (quoting ?writeWebGL).  I'm sure I'm misreading the help, and would appreciate guidance.
> >>
> >> Briefly, it works fine with the default writeWebGL( ,prefix="", ) and the template containing %WebGL%
> >> I have not been able to make it work with any other value of prefix; e.g. writeWebGL( ,prefix="A",) and the template containing %AWebGL%
> >>
> >> Here is code illustrating the problem.
> >>
> >> First create three templates:
> >> a) Vanilla: copied system.file(file.path("WebGL", "template.html"), package="rgl") to file.path(getwd(), "template.html")
> >>
> >> b) First attempt: ?writeWebGL says # "[the template] should contain a single line containing paste("%", prefix, "WebGL%"), e.g. %WebGL% with the default empty prefix"
> >> paste("%", "A", "WebGL%")
> >> # [1] "% A WebGL%"
> >> so file.path(getwd(), "templateA.html") is a copy of (a) replacing %WebGL% with % A WebGL%
> >>
> >> c) Second attempt: file.path(getwd(), "templateB.html") is  a copy of (a) replacing %WebGL% with %AWebGL%
> >>
> >> then, in R
> >> #-----------
> >> library(rgl)
> >> plot3d(1:5, 1:5, 1:5) # generate rgl scene
> >> #-----------
> >> # a) vanilla
> >> writeWebGL(dir=getwd(), template = file.path(getwd(), "template.html"), prefix="")
> >> # works OK; result opens and works in IE
> >> #----------------
> >> # b) First attempt, my reading of ?writeWebGL
> >> writeWebGL(dir=getwd(), template = file.path(getwd(), "templateA.html"), prefix="A")
> >> # Error in writeWebGL(dir = getwd(), template = file.path(getwd(), "templateA.html"),  :
> >> #                       template ‘m://templateA.html’ does not contain %AWebGL%
> >> # so it looks as if the help is trivially wrong, it should be paste0
> >> paste0("%", "A", "WebGL%")
> >
> > Yes, that's right.  I'll fix it.
> >
> >> # [1] "%AWebGL%"
> >> #----------------
> >> # c) second attempt using %AWebGL%
> >> writeWebGL(dir=getwd(), template = file.path(getwd(), "templateB.html"), prefix="A")
> >> # runs without error in R but IE displays "You must enable Javascript to view this page properly."
> >> #--------------
> >>
> >> I don't understand why (c) is different from (a).
> >
> > There may be an error in the generated Javascript.  In Firefox, you could ask to see the browser console log, and it would report if there was an error on the page; sometimes those make the Javascript fail, and it falls back to the error message you saw.  I don't know how/if you can do that in IE.
> >

> >> Here are the system details:
> >>
> >> R version 3.1.0 (2014-04-10)
> [...]
That looks as though it's not finding the OpenGL libraries.  I think the
usual way to get them on a Mac is to install XQuartz.  rgl doesn't have
to use X11, but it will (e.g. if you run it from RStudio), and it
requires the X11 files for compiling.  I haven't experimented a lot with
systems that don't have XQuartz installed, but I just saw one yesterday
where even the native OpenGL code (what you get when you run rgl within
R.app) wouldn't start; after installing XQuartz, it was fixed.

Duncan Murdoch