[R] Packages not installing on XP

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Feb 24 13:10:47 CET 2015

On 24/02/2015 10:52, S Ellison wrote:
> I have an installation problem; on installing MethComp either from repository or local zip file on Win XP (!) I get
>
> Warning: unable to move temporary installation 'C:\Program Files\R\R-3.1.2\library\filefbc44fe1354\MethComp' to ‘C:\Program Files\R\R-3.1.2\library\MethComp’
> The same occurs with other packages.
>
> The 'obvious' reason for this is that subsequent inspection shows that there is no temporary installation at the location given.

But R CMD INSTALL cleaned it up.

> I appreciate that R is not now tested on XP as XP is no longer supported by MS, but since I've yet to switch to Win7+ on this otherwise serviceable small laptop and it'll be a while before I get back to my desktops, I'd appreciate any clues as to what - if anything - I could to do in the mean time to get a working package install.

1) Check the permissions on :\Program Files\R\R-3.1.2\library, or
perhaps better, use a separate library directory (see the rw-FAQ).

2) Switch off any anti-virus runtime checking.  There is a comment in
the sources

                 ## Move the new package to the install lib
                 ## To avoid anti-virus interference, wait a little
                 Sys.sleep(0.5)

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
1 South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3TG, UK