[R] Dummy variable in ARIMA

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 18:27:26 CET 2015

> On 26 Feb 2015, at 17:29 , Mikael Olai Milhøj <mikaelmilhoj at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi.
>
> First of all, thx. But when using in arima(...xreg=fact,...) then fact
> should be a vector and not a factor variable? Maybe I should have been more
> clear in my first mail, sorry. Or else I have to dig deeper into factors.

You can always do things like as.numeric((1:50) %in% (4:6)), but longer term I think it is more generalizable to play with model.matrix(), i.e. M <- model.matrix(~fact). As far as I recall, arima() will automatically include a constant so you need to say xreg=M[,-1] to get rid of the column of ones.