[R] rounding down with as.integer

Mike Miller mbmiller+l at gmail.com
Thu Jan 1 20:43:52 CET 2015

On Thu, 1 Jan 2015, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> At first I tried making the integers like so:
>>
>>> ptm <- proc.time() ; ints <- as.integer( 1000 * data ) ; proc.time()-ptm
>>     user  system elapsed
>>    0.187   0.387   0.574
>>
>> I decided I should compare with the result I got using round():
>>
>>> ptm <- proc.time() ; ints2 <- as.integer( round( 1000 * data ) ) ; proc.time()-ptm
>>     user  system elapsed
>>    1.595   0.757   2.352
>>
>> It is a curious fact that only a few of the values from 0 to 2000 disagree
>> between the two methods:
>>
>>> table( ints2[ ints2 != ints ] )
>>
>>   1001  1003  1005  1007  1009  1011  1013  1015  1017  1019  1021  1023
>> 35651 27020 15993 11505  8967  7549  6885  6064  5512  4828  4533  4112
>>
>> I understand that it's all about the problem of representing digital
>> numbers in binary, but I still find some of the results a little
>> surprising, like that list of numbers from the table() output.  For
>> another example:
>>
>>> 1000+3 - 1000*(1+3/1000)
>> [1] 1.136868e-13
>>
>>> 3 - 1000*(0+3/1000)
>> [1] 0
>>
>>> 2000+3 - 1000*(2+3/1000)
>> [1] 0
>>
>> See what I mean?  So there is something special about the numbers around
>> 1000.
>
> I think it's really that there is something special about the numbers
> near 1, and you're multiplying that by 1000.
>
> Numbers from 1 to just below 2 are stored as their fractional part, with
> 52 bit precision.  Some intermediate calculations will store them with
> 64 bit precision.  52 bits gives about 15 or 16 decimal places.
>
> If your number x is close to 3/1000, it is stored as the fractional part
> of 2^9 * x.  This gives it an extra 2 or 3 decimal digits of precision,
> so that's why these values are accurate.
>
> If your number x is close to 2.003, it is stored as the fractional part
> of x/2, i.e. with errors like 1.0015 would have.  So I would have
> guessed that 2.006 would have the same problems as 1.003, but I thought
> you didn't see that.  So I tried it myself, and I do see that:
>
>> 1000+3 - 1000*(1+3/1000)
> [1] 1.136868e-13
>> 2000+6 - 1000*(2+6/1000)
> [1] 2.273737e-13
>
> Reading more closely, I see that you didn't test this particular case,
> so there's no contradiction here.
>
> The one thing I couldn't think of an explanation for is why other
> numbers between 1 and 2 don't have the same sorts of problems.  So I
> tried the following:
>
> # Set data to 1.000 thru 1.999
> data <- 1 + 0:999/1000
>
> # Find the errors
> errors <- 1000 + 0:999 - 1000*data
>
> # Plot them
> plot(data, errors)
>
> The plot doesn't show a uniform distribution, but much more uniform than
> yours:  so I think your data doesn't really cover all possible values
> from 0.000 to 1.999.  (I get a similar plot if I look at cases where

No, my data do cover all of the values in the range (I checked that by
listing all of them in a file:

tr ' ' '\n' < FILE | uniq | sort -n | uniq >| uniq.txt

They are definitely all there -- all 2001 of them.  The thing is, your way
of making the numbers is a little different from reading them from a file.
You construct the number through an arithmetic operation and you get the
error:

> as.integer( 1000 * (1+118/1000) )
[1] 1117

(Your first error-producing value was 1.118.)  But when the number is read
froma file, it starts as character and is translated to numeric.  So I
start with the arithmetic, convert to character, back to numeric, and then
I do not see the error:

> as.integer( 1000 * as.numeric( as.character( 1+118/1000 ) ) )
[1] 1118

That reflects what was happening in my work.  To see what I'm seeing, you
have to do this:

data <- 1 + 0:999/1000
errors <- 1000 + 0:999 - 1000 * as.numeric( as.character( data ) )
plot(data, errors)

Or you could cover he full range from 0 to 2:

data <- 0:2000/1000
errors <- 0:2000 - 1000 * as.numeric( as.character( data ) )
plot(data, errors)

Mike