[R] rle with data.table - is it possible?

Kate Ignatius kate.ignatius at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 04:25:26 CET 2015

Ahh ... you may have missed this:

Larger example below.

So for the below example it will be:

    Dad Mum Child Group sumdad summum sumchild childseg
 1:  AA  RR    RA     A      2      2        0        0
 2:  AA  RR    RR     A      2      2        1        1
 3:  AA  AA    AA     B      4      5        5        1
 4:  AA  AA    RA     B      4      5        5        0
 5:  RA  AA    RR     B      0      5        5        2
 6:  RR  AA    RR     B      4      5        5        2
 7:  AA  AA    AA     B      4      5        5        2
 8:  AA  AA    AA     C      3      3        0        1
 9:  AA  AA    RA     C      3      3        0        0
10:  AA  RR    RR     C      3      3        0        2
 11:  AA  RR    RA     C     2      2        0        0
 12:  AA  RR    RR     C      2      2        1        3
 13:  AA  AA    AA     C      4      5        5        3
 14:  AA  AA    RA     C      4      5        5        0
 15:  RA  AA    RR     C      0      5        5        4

Short explanation: I'm only posting something small here to
make it simple.  But I have of course many more Groups but essentially I want to
assign a sequence value to consecutive rows where sumchild is not
equal to 0.  As the data frame I'm working with is much larger, this
goes up to 100 maybe even 200 and I have many different groups 20K+.
I would like to do this for every group, not for the whole data frame.
So hence the initial question of asking whether rle and data.table can
be used together.

On Sat, Jan 3, 2015 at 2:45 AM, Jeff Newmiller <jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote:
> Here is what I get when I try to use your algorithm:
>
> myf <- function( s ) {
>   seg <- rep( 0, length( s ) )
>   rs <- rle( s )
>   span <- rs$lengths[ rs$values ]
>   seg[ s ] <- rep( seq_along( span ), times = span )
>   seg
> }
>
> DT <- data.table( x )
> DT[ , dadseg := myf( Dad %in% c( "AA", "RR" ) ), by=Group ]
> DT[ , mumseg := myf( Mum %in% c( "AA", "RR" ) ), by=Group ]
> DT[ , childseg := myf( Child %in% c( "AA", "RR" ) ), by=Group ]
>>
>> DT
>
>     Dad Mum Child Group dadseg mumseg childseg
>  1:  AA  RR    RA     A      1      1        0
>  2:  AA  RR    RR     A      1      1        1
>  3:  AA  AA    AA     B      1      1        1
>  4:  AA  AA    AA     B      1      1        1
>  5:  RA  AA    RR     B      0      1        1
>  6:  RR  AA    RR     B      2      1        1
>  7:  AA  AA    AA     B      2      1        1
>  8:  AA  AA    RA     C      1      1        0
>  9:  AA  AA    RA     C      1      1        0
> 10:  AA  RR    RA     C      1      1        0
>

> On Fri, 2 Jan 2015, Jeff Newmiller wrote:
>
>> The problem is that I cannot see how your use of rle and/or seq_along
>> could possibly lead to the sample result you are giving us. That is why I
>> asked for a new example.

>> Jeff Newmiller                        The     .....       .....  Go
>> Live...
>> DCN:<jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us>        Basics: ##.#.       ##.#.  Live
>> Go...
>>                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing
>> Research Engineer (Solar/Batteries            O.O#.       #.O#.  with
>> /Software/Embedded Controllers)               .OO#.       .OO#.
>> rocks...1k

>> On January 2, 2015 5:11:09 PM PST, Beejai <kate.ignatius at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Obviously this is why I need help...
>>>
>>> This is a larger data frame.  I'm only posting something small here to
>>> make it simple.  There are many Groups which are larger, and I want to
>>> assign a sequence value to consecutive rows where sumchild in not
>>> equal to 0.  As the data frame I'm working with is much larger, this
>>> goes up to 100 maybe even 200 and I have many different groups 20K+.
>>> I would like to do this for every group, not for the whole data frame.
>>>
>>> There is no particular science behind this, only data organizing.
>>>
>>> So just say we had data like so:
>>>
>>>    Dad Mum Child Group sumdad summum sumchild childseg
>>> 1:  AA  RR    RA     A      2      2        0        0
>>> 2:  AA  RR    RR     A      2      2        1        1
>>> 3:  AA  AA    AA     B      4      5        5        1
>>> 4:  AA  AA    RA     B      4      5        5        0
>>> 5:  RA  AA    RR     B      0      5        5        2
>>> 6:  RR  AA    RR     B      4      5        5        2
>>> 7:  AA  AA    AA     B      4      5        5        2
>>> 8:  AA  AA    AA     C      3      3        0        1
>>> 9:  AA  AA    RA     C      3      3        0        0
>>> 10:  AA  RR    RR     C      3      3        0        2
>>> 11:  AA  RR    RA     C     2      2        0        0
>>> 12:  AA  RR    RR     C      2      2        1        3
>>> 13:  AA  AA    AA     C      4      5        5        3
>>> 14:  AA  AA    RA     C      4      5        5        0