[R] "se.fit" option to the predict.nls() function

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 21:08:12 CET 2015

Roger Coppock <rcoppock <at> cox.net> writes:

> When will "R" implement the "se.fit" option to the
>  predict.nls() function?  Is there some schedule?

  I think this is unlikely to happen, ever (sorry).  The exact method
for finding confidence intervals on nonlinear fits would be
to compute likelihood profiles for each prediction, which would
be rather tedious.

  Another reasonable approach would be to use bootstrapping (see
linked r-help thread below).

  An approximate approach would be to use the delta method.

  The nlstools package might be useful.

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2008-November/179658.html :