[R] Select best maximum likelihood tree with raxml (package ips)

Luigi Marongiu marongiu.luigi at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 11:46:48 CET 2015

Dear all,
I am trying to build a maximum likelihood (ML) tree using the raxml
function of the package ips. I implemented the following script:
     tr<-raxml(seq.align,    exec = "/usr/bin/raxmlHPC",    b = 100,
N = 10)
where tr is the resulting tree, seq.align is the DNA alignment created
with the function muscle of the package ape, "/usr/bin/raxmlHPC" is the
path for the executable of raxml, b is the number of bootstraps per
tree, and N is the number of trees created (I reckon this should be
enough because to build 10 trees it took several hours).
The resulting tree tr is an object of class 'multiPhylo' so my first
question is how to extract an individual tree and create a standard
object of class 'Phylo'.
My second question is on what basis select such tree: what function
should I implement to obtain the best ML tree?
Finally, how could I extract the bootstrap values from the best tree in
order to use it as a vector for the nodelabel function of the package ape?
Thank you
Best regards
Luigi