[R] seek(), Windows and Cygwin (was "a UNIX vs. Windows package question, please")

Henrik Bengtsson hb at biostat.ucsf.edu
Tue Jan 13 22:33:46 CET 2015

I/we've been utilizing both read and write seek():s on *binary*
connections across platforms and file systems, including Windows (at
least NTFS, but probably also FAT/FAT32 back in the days) in the Aroma
Framework (e.g. affxparser, R.huge) for ~8 years and counting.  There
should be thousands and thousands of Windows CPU hours for this by now
and I still have to see a case/report where seek() was an issue.

Without further references and pointers, I consider that claim in
help("seek") mostly anecdotal (e.g. someone at some point in time had
issues on some version on Windows and gave up on narrow it down).  It
did however made me add lots of internal sanity checks to catch a
corner case where seek() on Windows is flaky - those assertions still
haven't failed.

I have little experience with seek() on *text* connections, so Jeff
may have a point there.

/Henrik