[R] ""error 1 in extracting from zip file"

John McKown john.archie.mckown at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 17:02:30 CET 2015

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 4:32 AM, Emilio Gianicolo <egianico at uni-mainz.de>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've some troubles in running this program
> http://rpubs.com/adam_dennett/8955.
>
> I create this object:
> temp <- tempfile(fileext = ".zip")
>
> But, after downloading this file
> download.file("
> http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/cache/GISCO/geodatafiles/NUTS_2010_60M_SH.zip
> ",
> temp)
>
> when I try to unzip
> unzip(temp)
>
> I get this message: " /error 1/ in /extracting/ from /zip/ file"
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> Emilio
>

>         [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

​Please, not HTML, per forum standards. Thanks.

I downloaded that URL. And the result was _not_ a ZIP file but a web page.
>From some looking around, the proper URL seems to be:

http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/cache/GISCO/geodatafiles/NUTS_2010_60M_SH.zip

This is a 5,9 megabyte file. When unzipped, it has 62 different files in 5
different directories.

There was a note on the web page displayed with I clicked on the URL you
supplied which leads me to believe that they have reorganized the site
recently.
​
--
​
While a transcendent vocabulary is laudable, one must be eternally careful

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Maranatha! <><
John McKown

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]