[R] Help installing packages with dependencies for R, behind corporate firewall

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jan 14 23:41:35 CET 2015

On 14/01/2015 21:37, jose.nunez-zuleta at barclays.com wrote:
> Hello R-users,
>
> I have no practical experience with the R language itself but I've been tasked to install it behind a corporate firewall. Basic installation seems sane but when my user tries to install a custom library like this:
>
> install.packages("ggplot2")
> Installing package into '/home/myuser/rlibs'
> (as 'lib' is unspecified)
> Warning: unable to access index for repository http://cran.us.r-project.org/src/contrib
> Warning message:
> package 'ggplot2' is not available (for R version 3.1.2)
>
> See no progress and eventually nothing gets downloaded into my custom directory. My question is, there is a way to add verbosity to R to see if the network proxy setting are working correctly (I can get files using 'wget' without problems under the same account)?

Yes.

But please follow the posting guide and give the 'at a minimum'
information required as this area does depend on the OS. I will guess
(you did not say) this is not Windows.

Be aware what the posting guide says about doing your own homework. The
help for install.packages says

      See ‘download.file’ for how to handle proxies and other options to
      monitor file transfers.

and the referenced help file may well answer your question.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
1 South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3TG, UK