[R] passing elements of named vector / named list to function

Rainer M Krug Rainer at krugs.de
Fri Jan 16 11:11:59 CET 2015

Jeff Newmiller <jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us> writes:

> It x is a list...
>
> do.call(fun,x)

Thanks - works perfectly. Only one further question:

In my original usage, fun() is an S3 Generic Function and takes as the
first argument an object which obviously *must not be* expanded, while
the ... need to be extended.

fun.obj <- function(x, ...) {
  y <- fun2(x)
  y$text <- paste(y$text, ..., collapse="|")
  return(y)
}

so

do.call(fun, c(x, list(A=2, B=3))

obviously does not work.

So at the moment I am using a helper function:

x <- AClassObjObject()
funhelp <- function(...) {fun(x, ...)}
do.call(funhelp, list(A=2, B=3))

which works but is not nice at all (as the x is from the environment
below). Is there a way of expand the ... but not the x?

Thanks,

Rainer

--
Rainer M. Krug