[R] subscript out of bounds

Chel Hee Lee chl948 at mail.usask.ca
Tue Jan 20 17:06:05 CET 2015

I hope this toy example gives an idea to understand the problems that
you are facing now.   Please see the below:

# 1. Create an empty list

 > A <- list()
list()

# 2. Add the first component (vector with two elements).

 > A[[1]] <- c(2,6)
[[1]]
[1] 2 6

# 3. Now, add the third component (vector with three elements).
# I did not add the second component INTENTIONALLY.

 > A[[3]] <- c(1,3,2)
[[1]]
[1] 2 6

[[2]]
NULL

[[3]]
[1] 1 3 2

# I see the second element has NULL value.
# You can apply 'is.null()' to this second component.

 > is.null(A[[2]])
[1] TRUE

# However, you will see the error as below if 'is.null()' is used for
the fourth component.

 > is.null(A[[4]])
Error in A[[4]] : subscript out of bounds

# Why?  It is because the list 'A' has only three components.

 > length(A)
[1] 3

I hope this helps.  I would appreciate if you DO READ the posting guide.

Chel Hee Lee