[R] need help with excel data

Collin Lynch cflynch at ncsu.edu
Wed Jan 21 22:26:25 CET 2015

Dr. Polanski, I would recommend something else.  Given the messy nature of
your data I would suggest using a language like Python or Perl to extract
it to an appropriate format.  Python has good regular expression support
and unicode support.  If you can save your data as a csv file or even text
line by line then it would be possible to write some code to read the file,
match the lines with a simple regular expression, and then spit them back
out as a csv file which you could read into R.

I realize that this means learning a new language or finding someone with
the requisite skills by I would recommend that over attempting to use R's
text processing.

    Collin.