[R] Re-order levels of a categorical (factor) variable

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Thu Jan 22 01:36:18 CET 2015

Are you sure the factors of T are in the order you think they are?  (Are you
sure you are using the expected version of T.)   Use print(levels(T)) to
make
sure.

I tried
   timeCats <- c("Presurgery", "Day 30", "Day 60",  "Day 180", "Day 365")
   d <- data.frame(T = factor(rep(timeCats, 11:15), levels=timeCats),
      Y=seq_len(sum(11:15)))
   boxplot(Y ~ T, data=d)
and the boxes and labels are in the order given in 'timeCats'.

Bill Dunlap
TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com