[R] need help with excel data

Sean Porter sporter at ori.org.za
Thu Jan 22 07:00:04 CET 2015

Hi Dr Polanski,

I would recommend you do this in excel seeing as you know how to work with excel. You can use excel to put different parts of a cell into another cell.

For example if cell A1 is 12*23 34*45

And you want "12" in a separate cell  (say cell A2) go to cell A2 and type: =LEFT(A1,2)

This will extract the first 2 characters from the left.

To extract "45" you would type: =Right(A1,2)

To get 2 characters starting at position 4 you would type: =MID(A1, 4,2)

Which will give you 23.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

DR. SEAN PORTER
Scientist

South African Association for Marine Biological Research
Direct Tel: +27 (31) 328 8169   Fax: +27 (31) 328 8188
E-mail: sporter at ori.org.za Web: www.saambr.org.za
1 King Shaka Avenue, Point, Durban 4001 KwaZulu-Natal South Africa
PO Box 10712, Marine Parade 4056 KwaZulu-Natal South Africa