[R] panel.xyplot and panel.loess using two different groupings

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Tue Jan 27 23:11:33 CET 2015

1. The trellis.par.get$superpose.line list controls the loess line
appearance, I believe (check this!)

2. To control the overall loess curve in the panel, call it without
the "..." arguments, e.g

panel.loess(x,y, col.line="darkblue")

You may have to modify argument lists appropriately if you want to
control the loess smoothing parameters in the xyplot call. The problem
is to avoid replicating parameter names that are passed in the "..."
argument with ones that you explicitly call (e.g. col.line above).
This can get a bit tricky.* If you're going to use lattice regularly
(which I recommend -- or ggplot; both are much more powerful and
flexible interfaces than the original base plotting capabilities,
IMHO), I would suggest getting your hands on Deepayan's book in which
these niceties are more fully explained.

*Also check out the latticeExtra package, as it provides a ggplot-like
syntax ("+") and facilities to handle duplicated parameters in
situations like this.

Cheers,
Bert

Bert Gunter