[R] Passing a Data Frame Name as a Variable in a Function

Alan Yong alanyong at caltech.edu
Thu Jan 29 18:43:24 CET 2015

Much thanks to everyone for their recommendations!  I agree that fishing in the global environment isn't ideal & only shows my budding understanding of R.

For now, I will adapt Chel Hee's "length(eval(parse(text=DFName))[,1])" solution then fully explore Jeff's suggestion to put the data frames into a list.

At best, I am implementing an ineloquent approach to:

(1) Add a column to each data frame with a string that is parsed from the appendage of the data frame name, i.e., string is "1001" from data frame object of "df.1001"; then,
(2) Bind the rows of all the files.

Any more feedback will be much appreciated!

Cheers,
Alan